Office of Cultural Diversity & Outreach
Advancing the unity of the Body of Christ, the Office of Cultural Diversity and Outreach supports the apostolic works of the Archdiocese of Washington through evangelization, planning, coordination, ministry and outreach to the various racial, ethnic, and cultural diverse communities within its pastoral care.
Relying on the Holy Spirit, all the faithful in The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington actively participate in the life and mission of the Church incorporating the richness of their culturally diverse heritages and perspectives by answering their baptismal call to share their faith, building parishes with the capacity for strong and effective cultural integration, and responding in solidarity and pastoral leadership to the needs of all members as one body of Christ.
The Office of Cultural Diversity and Outreach of the Archdiocese of Washington provides resources and support which promote appreciation for that richness of diverse heritages and works for their integration within the life of both the Catholic community and the greater society.
Click here to learn more about the office’s work.
- Engage leaders of various racial, ethnic and culturally diverse groups throughout the archdiocese to support the work of the office.
- Strengthen and support the leadership development of all involved in ministry with various cultural communities.
- Plan and promote liturgies and events that serve our various cultural communities.
- Help with the implementation of the Synod Statutes and Recommendations on Ethnic and Cultural Diversity within the Archdiocese.
- Assist pastors and parish leaders in building communities that welcome, support, and celebrate the culturally diverse heritage of their parishioners.
Share, Learn, and Celebrate Initiative
The Share, Learn, and Celebrate initiative is designed to acknowledge, educate, and embed multicultural awareness in our diverse communities. Through Share, Learn, and Celebrate we work to heighten awareness, knowledge and understanding through the engagement of Archdiocesan parishes, ministries, and the faithful in relevant activities. Stakeholders are encouraged to share the achievements, identity, beauty, richness, and importance of each of our cultural communities as part of particular celebratory and historically significant occasions. Click here for resources to Share, Learn, and Celebrate Black History Month and Black Catholic History Month.
Building Intercultural Competencies for Ministers
The Building Intercultural Competence for Ministers (BICM) Program is designed to help ministry leaders reach a level of awareness and proficiency in the area of intercultural competency through the guidelines recommended by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Committee on Cultural Diversity in the Church. BICM increases one’s capacity to welcome, receive, and encourage all emerging cultural groups to assume a role of leadership in the Church and, in turn, to train other ministry leaders to do the same.
The formation program prepares ministry leaders to:
- Articulate the general outlines of a theology and spirituality of ministry in intercultural settings, including the manner in which the Magisterium understands the concepts of evangelization, the New Evangelization, and inculturation.
- Communicate appropriately with persons and groups in cultures other than one’s own.
- Identify and articulate patterns of prejudice that impede intergroup interaction.
- Understand the rationale for the inclusion and integration of diverse cultural groups into the life and mission of the parish and diocese.
This program is for people of every cultural, ethnic or racial group in the Church. Workshops are adapted to the reality of your communities. Contact us for more information on bringing this program to your parish or school.