Child Protection & Safe Environment
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is committed to keeping children safe and to bringing healing to those harmed. Here you can learn more about our child protection policy; sign up for background checks and training if you are seeking to work or volunteer with young people in the archdiocese; and if you have been a victim of child sexual abuse and adult abuse, please contact the Office of Child and Youth Protection & Safe Environment at 301-853-5328, so you may receive the assistance you need.
As a part of the Archdiocese’s periodic review and update of policies, a revised child protection policy was released in July 2019. Here are ten things to know about the Archdiocese’s child protection policy.
Due to the COVID-19 quarantine, the Office of Child Protection and Safe Environment staff is currently working from home. As always, our number one priority is everyone’s well-being while maintaining a safe environment for our community. The office has been working diligently and creatively during this pandemic to help ensure members of the Archdiocese of Washington become compliant with the Child Protection Policy.
As an example of this work, we will begin to offer interactive Virtus training sessions. Members can sign up for a class through their Virtus account and participate online. Community members in need of an electronic background check can email [email protected] to schedule an appointment.
Please contact our office at 301-853-5328 or via email if you need any assistance with electronic background checks or Virtus training classes. Also, if you need to file a report of abuse, neglect, or misconduct, we are available 24 hours a day.
Please know that The Child Protection & Safe Environment Team is praying for you and your families and we look forward to seeing you all very soon.
The introductory video is available above. Watch the entire Focus on the Child | Child Protection Video Series from Archdiocese of Washington on Vimeo.
The archdiocese has had a written Child Protection Policy since 1986. The policy covers reporting, prevention and healing. It mandates reporting to civil authorities; education for children and adults; and background checks for clergy, employees and volunteers who work with minors. Also included is information on assistance for those harmed and what to do if there is an allegation. A Child Protection Advisory Board of predominantly lay experts advises on and monitors compliance with child protection efforts.
- Archdiocese of Washington Child Protection Policy (Español)
- Child Protection Advisory Board Annual Report
- Pastoral Code of Conduct
- Ten Things to Know about the ADW Child Protection Policy
- Child Protection & Safe Environment Contact Information
- Protection of minors and safe environments information in Spanish
- Reporting on Child Sexual Abuse
- Reporting Sexual Abuse – Darkness to Light End: Child Sexual Abuse sheet
- View the list of credibly accused clergy
- Child Protection in the Archdiocese of Washington
- Top Safety Tips for Parents
- Kid’s Guide to Bullying
Volunteer and Employee Information
- 2020-2021 Permission Form for Catechists
- Child Protection Training
- Volunteer Application | Spanish
- Compliance checklist
- Employment Application
- Safe Environment for online youth gatherings
- Child Protection Advisory Board and past annual reports
- Case Review Board
- Q&A: When there is an allegation
National Child Protection Efforts and Resources
Bullying Prevention and Response Resources
- Bullying Prevention Curriculums
- General Bullying Information: StopBullying.Gov, GirlsHealth.Gov, Know Bullying app
- Research: Cyberbullying and Electronic Aggression, Prevention of Bullying in Colleges and Universities, Successful Anti-Bullying Program UCLA, Effectiveness of School Based Anti-Bullying Programs
- Creating a safe learning environment: National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environment, Steps to Creating a Positive School Culture, Building Positive Staff Culture Takes Work and Bullying Prevention
- School programs to promote a positive and safe environment: For Educators and Creating Radically Compassionate Classrooms
God of endless love, ever caring, ever strong, always present, always just: you gave your only Son to save us by the blood of his cross.
Gentle Jesus, shepherd of peace, join to your own suffering the pain of all who have been hurt in body, mind, and spirit by those who betrayed the trust placed in them.
Hear the cries of our brothers and sisters who have been gravely harmed, and the cries of those who love them. Soothe their restless hearts with hope, steady their shaken spirits with faith. Grant them justice for their cause, enlightened by your truth.
Holy Spirit, comforter of hearts, heal your people’s wounds and transform brokenness into wholeness. Grant us the courage and wisdom, humility and grace, to act with justice. Breathe wisdom into our prayers and labors. Grant that all harmed by abuse may find peace in justice. We ask this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.