Ministry with Persons with Disabilities
- Special Needs Catechesis: ongoing training, materials development for parents and catechists, including best practices for using Religious IEP’s
- Sacramental Resource Guide (pdf)
- Catechetical Resource (pdf)
- Contact the Department of Special Needs Ministries for additional information on training needs at your parish. Click on the link below for an example of an adapted religious education program at St. Rose of Lima in Gaithersburg, MD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3YdYdNQ2l0
- Conference on Faith, Deafness & Disabilities: formation conference for our community. The conference is held every two years. Past keynote speakers include Mark Shriver and music by Tony Melendez and Christopher Duffley.
- Affirming Life/Prenatal Diagnosis Initiative: helping parishes support women and families to carry to term following unexpected prenatal diagnosis of a disability or fatal defect. For more information click here.
- White Mass: Annual Mass celebrating the giftedness of all persons especially Deaf Catholics and Catholics with Disabilities. This Archdiocesan Liturgy is celebrated by Cardinal Wuerl.
- 2nd Annual White Mass October 23, 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46rbOks_qw
- Rally for Life: creating opportunities at Rally to consider disability issues
- Parish Ministry Formation: helping create ministries serving persons who are disabled that meet the specific needs of these persons in their parishes
- Mental Illness Outreach: Training of clergy, parish personnel, school personnel and others in how parishes can support the spiritual needs of persons with mental illness and their families
- Adult Faith Formation: supporting Faith & Light communities for persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Contact the Department of Special Needs Ministries for information on Faith and Light Communities in your area.
- Housing Opportunities: helping create group homes for persons with disabilities on parish property, using the Rosaria Communities, Inc. model
- Hispanic Ministry Special Needs Catechesis: translating materials into Spanish; developing Hispanic Special Needs ministries based in parishes
- Veterans Outreach: offering spiritual retreat for veterans with a service-related disability, mental illness or PTSD; creating materials for use in parishes. For more information click here.
- Retreats for Families: Spiritual retreats for families caring for a person with a disability
For more information, contact Rachel Chung, Disabilities Coordinator, at [email protected].