Request an Exorcism
The Rite of Exorcism is a sacramental of the Catholic Church whereby “the Church asks publicly and authoritatively in the name of Jesus Christ that a person or object be protected against the power of the Evil One and withdrawn from his dominion” (Catechism of the Catholic Church #1673). It is “directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to His Church (ibid.).”
Procedures for Requesting an Exorcism
Persons seeking an exorcism from the Archdiocese should follow the protocol below:
- For Catholics or non-Catholics residing in the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. the first step is to request an appointment with his/her local parish priest (ADW Parish and Mass Finder) or to contact the Archdiocesan Office of the Clergy at [email protected]. The person will then be referred to the local parish priest.
- For those residing outside of the Archdiocese of Washington, please contact your local Catholic priest or local Catholic diocesan chancery for assistance.
- If you do not reside within the Archdiocese of Washington, we are unable to assist you and you may not receive a response. Please reach out to your local Catholic Diocese. Thank you for your understanding.
- During the appointment the priest will listen to the person’s history, provide pastoral guidance, and deliverance prayers.
- After praying over the person, if the priest considers it appropriate, he or she is referred to the exorcism team of the Archdiocese. The person will be asked to fill out requisite forms as part of the screening process.
- The exorcism team will assess the situation and determine appropriate next steps to be followed.
- Confidentiality is assured throughout the process.
- Parents seeking ministry for a son or daughter under the age of eighteen may start by making an appointment for their child with their local parish priest, and the above outline is the same. During all appointments, at least one of the parents must be present.
- While parents may desire ministry for children over 18, at that age, the son or daughter must take the initiative in their care and follow the above outline.
Procedure for the Minor Exorcism of a Place
A minor exorcism of place, such as exorcizing a home, may be prayed by any priest with faculties to minister within the Archdiocese.
- Those seeking the blessing or exorcism of their home or business should contact their local parish priest.
For additional information and prayer resources, contact your parish priest and/or download The Saint Michael Center App. To locate the App, search for “Catholic Exorcism.”
Apple Podcast Google Podcast