Volunteers Join in Moving Archbishop Neale School Into New Building
January 15, 2004
It’s moving day! More than 70 volunteers will help Archbishop Neale School, devastated by a tornado in 2002, move from its temporary location into its brand new school building:
Saturday, January 17, 2004
7:30 a.m.: Volunteers loading trucks (next to Sacred Heart Church)
201 St. Mary’s Avenue, La Plata, MD
8:30 a.m.: Delivery of items to new school
Archbishop Neale School
104 Port Tobacco Road, La Plata, MD
Teams of volunteers, including many parents of children at the school, will carry library books, files, bookshelves, computers, teachers’ desks, bulletin boards and other items from the temporary school location to trucks donated by a local business. Trucks will take the materials to the new school and volunteers will unload and carry the items into designated rooms. Classes will be held for the first time in the new school on Tuesday, January 27.
The tornado that struck La Plata on April 28, 2002 destroyed all but three classrooms of the school. FEMA and Catholic Mutual insurance agreed that the remaining portion of the building was unsalvageable. The new, two-story school was designed by Patuxent Architects and is 55,000 square feet, about 20,000 square feet larger than the old school. It includes a library and media center, full-size gymnasium, larger classrooms and upgrades to meet new building code requirements. The destroyed building had been constructed in 1951 and added on to in 1999.
Nearly 500 students in grades Pre-K to 8 attend Archbishop Neale School, one of 109 Catholic Pre-K, elementary, special and secondary schools in the Archdiocese of Washington.
Office of Communications
301-853-4516 or 301-758-7901 (cell)