Archdiocese to Celebrate Catholic Schools Week
January 13, 2005
This year Catholic schools will celebrate Catholic Schools Week January 30-February 5 with events around the theme “Faith in Every Student: Catholic Schools.” The 23,000 students at the 84 Catholic elementary schools in the Archdiocese of Washington will celebrate Catholic education with a wide variety of fun and exciting activities including the following:
· School talent shows
· Open Houses for prospective new families
· School liturgies and rosaries
· Twins/triplets dress up day for students and faculty
· Students writing Valentines for U.S. soldiers and local police, fire and rescue workers
· Student visits to a nursing home to deliver handmade cards
· School pep rallies and faculty vs. students basketball games
· Grandparents’ Day
· 7th and 8th graders switching places with their principal and/or teachers for the day
· Career Day
· Appreciation days for school staff and volunteers, including presentation of student gifts to teachers … and more.
Many elementary schools will host Open Houses so prospective students, their parents and the community can learn more about Catholic schools and what makes them so successful. Catholic Schools Week is a national event held to spotlight the benefits of Catholic education.
A calendar of events to be held at Catholic schools in D.C. and Maryland will be coming soon and posted online at www.adw.org. Please mark this week on your calendar now. Contact Jennifer Reed at [email protected] or 301-853-4562 for more information.
Asst. Dir. of Communications, Schools