50 Years of Serving the Community: St. Margaret of Scotland School Celebrates with Barbeque, Reunion Gala
May 12, 2005
Hundreds of St. Margaret of Scotland School’s alumnae, and former principals and teachers will join current students, staff and school families for a festive all-day celebration marking the school’s 50th anniversary:
Saturday, May 21, 2005
11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: Barbeque (field adjacent to school)
7:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m.: Reunion Gala and Silent Auction (Omega Room)
St. Margaret of Scotland School
410 Addison Road South, Seat Pleasant, MD
The day will include food and fun activities such as a moon bounce, tug of war and face painting, as well as tours of the school, where colorful work by the students will decorate the hallways and historical school photos and trophies will be on display. The Reunion Gala will feature a formal dinner, DJ and dancing, and a silent auction to raise funds for a scholarship fund and capital improvements.
Joining in the celebrations will be members of the Felician Sisters, the religious community that opened the school in 1955 and worked there for nearly a quarter century. A local Catholic named Francis Simon Carmody donated land for the first St. Margaret Church, which was completed in 1908, and named it after his mother Margaret Carmody. In 1953, the parish started construction of a new church, school, auditorium and convent. Today, nearly 160 students are enrolled in Grades K-8, under the leadership of Principal Mrs. Charon P.W. Hines. St. Margaret’s offers an expanded curriculum including computer technology, Spanish and music, and activities such as a math-a-thon, Martin Luther King, Jr. Essay/Poem Contest, geography-a-thon and sports program.
St. Margaret’s is one of 30 Catholic elementary and secondary schools in Prince George’s County, serving nearly 9,300 students, and one of 115 schools and early learning programs in the Archdiocese of Washington, which includes the District of Columbia and five Maryland counties.
Asst. Dir. of Communications for Schools