Coronavirus Resources and Information
Latest Archdiocesan Updates
Public Masses may resume starting Monday, May 25 within the Archdiocese of Washington in local jurisdictions that have lifted restrictions. For remaining jurisdictions that still have stay at home restrictions in place on May 25, resuming public Masses will wait until the restrictions are lifted.
The dispensation issued by Archbishop Gregory from the obligation to attend Mass during this time remains in effect. All persons who are subjects of the Archbishop of Washington no matter where they may be, and all other persons who are actually present in the Archdiocese of Washington who are under the obligation, are dispensed from the obligation until further notice (cann. 87 §1, 91).
Visit the Media Portal to view the latest statements regarding the coronavirus released by the Archdiocese of Washington.
Catholic Standard will also continue to provide information in the coming days.
Messages from Archbishop Gregory
“Since the Archdiocese of Washington includes territory in multiple jurisdictions, our reopening will have to reflect the various limitations that those jurisdictions impose on public assembly. In this local Church – in the midst of changing conditions – our archdiocesan team is working to finalize plans for when and how we will be able to resume public liturgy in an orderly and safe manner. Please follow the updates issued by your pastor for information pertaining to your particular parish.”
Worship and Prayer Resources
The following resources have been developed to help parishes and individuals continue to provide and to participate in pastoral ministry, prayer and outreach. These resources were created at various times throughout the past month. Since civil guidelines and restrictions are developing, always follow the most recent guidance on social and physical distancing.
- Guide to celebrating Mass online: English | Spanish
- How to hold a prayer service at home: English | English B&W version| Spanish | French
- How to host a small group online: English | Spanish
- Guide for parishes to make phone calls to parishioners: English | Spanish
- The Church on Call: Accompanying Parishioners through Phone Calls during Times of Separation (co-produced with the Catholic Apostolate Center): Webinar
- Top ten tips for pastoral ministry during COVID-19: English
- Guide to dispensation and prayer when unable to attend Mass: English | Spanish
- Parish guide to virtual prayer ministry (from the Diocese of Green Bay)