The Black/African-American Ministry for the Archdiocese of Washington was established in September 1974. Since 1981, this ministry has a responsibility to listen to the needs and concerns articulated by black Catholics and respond in appropriate ways, or assist the Archdiocese in its response. The Program Director provides and develops resources for education; participates in Archdiocesan planning and decision-making; and implements and/or assists with the implementation of programs to ensure an appropriate response to the needs and concerns of black Catholics.
The Ministry is expanding its outreach to include African people and people of African descent in the Archdiocese of Washington. The Program Director maintains contact with local and national groups with similar purposes and goals. The Program Director is active with The National Black Catholic Congress and The National Association of Black Catholic Administrators.
Currently, the Ministry has responsibility for the following:
- Archdiocese of Washington Mass Choir with members representing 15 parishes. Goal: evangelization through liturgical and sacred music and service to parishes and the larger community
- The Archdiocesan Black Catholic Congress Team, members who work in parish and Archdiocesan programs to evangelize and encourage full participation by black Catholics in parish life
- Black Catholic History Archives, that provides educational workshops, seminars, research and resource materials on or about black Catholics.
- Racial, ethnic, cultural sensitivity and awareness seminars, materials and workshops
- Lists of black Catholic resource persons willing to serve the parish and the Archdiocese
- Training and encouragement for potential and current African American Catholic parish leaders; and other parish leaders preparing for work in our parishes
- Archdiocesan Chapter, National Black Catholic Apostolate for Life
- Archdiocesan Chapter, Sisters in the Spirit
Office of Cultural Diversity and Outreach Staff
Javier Bustamante, Executive Director
301-853-4468 | [email protected]
Sandra Coles-Bell, Program Director
301-853-4469 | [email protected]
Claudia Bartolini, Coordinator of Resource Development
301-853-5335 | [email protected]
Office e-mail: [email protected]
Post Office Box 29260
Washington, DC 20017-0260